Title: Marketing & Communications Manager
Office Location: 119 Bathurst Street, Sydney NSW 2000
Final Report: Chief Executive
Reports: Marketing Interns; external PR agency & Design agency
Term: Full time, ongoing.
The Marketing and Communications Manager is responsible for developing, implementing and evaluating the Piano+ (pianoplus.com.au) brand, marketing strategies and campaigns, culminating in the achievement of ticket sales and advertising income targets, participant numbers and a successful brand presence in the Australian and international marketplace. The role develops audiences through traditional and digital platforms ensuring conversion to ticket sales. It requires a combination of inhouse and externally designed project material along side integrated external communications to holistically drive the marketing strategies and meet sales goals. The Marketing and Communication Manager is a senior member of Piano+ working in sync with the philanthropic and operations teams and reports to the Operations Manager.
Specific Accountabilities (including but not limited to):
Strategy, Planning and Analysis
- Write and implement a comprehensive overarching marketing and communications strategy for Piano+ that includes core aspects of traditional & digital marketing (including niche marketing), sales, ticketing management and PR.
- Develop and implement individual marketing and communication plans for Piano+ projects and activities which include but are not limited to:
- comprehensive promotion and sales driven actions to achieve forecast ticking income.
- a comprehensive media engagement plan.
- a dedicated social media plan.
- Analyze, evaluate and report on the effectiveness of all ongoing digital marketing campaigns and strategies to ensure they are delivering an effective return on investment and defining future activity.
- Regularly extract and analyze segmented marketing data from ticket sales to inform and refine marketing initiatives.
- Manage the ongoing development and maintenance of database/s.
- Ensure that the brand is maintained and evolves to enhance the objectives of the marketing and communications strategy.
Traditional and Digital Marketing
- Production of all print design including but not limited to programs, invitations, certificates and signage.
- Prepare internal collateral including design layout (using supplied templates and new generation within Canva or similar design software)
- Write copy for digital and printed programs including but not limited to the monthly eNewsletter and social media, ensuring relevant content, messaging and branding is consistent.
- Maintain the website including but not limited to the uploading and optimization of content, application procedures, ticket information, promotions and partner events.
- Coordinate all social media platforms and eNewsletter activity including creating content, scheduling posts, coordinating promotions, moderating comments and engaging with industry relevant content..
- Catalogue and utilise existing audio, video and still image resources.
- Work with the external design and PR agencies and broadcast partners to develop and deliver on the objectives of marketing and communications strategy and plans.
- Manage external ticketing agencies.
- Identify international partnerships to drive online sales.
- Develop mutually beneficial relationships with media, media outlets, arts organisations, music schools, the local community and other stakeholders to ensure branding and key messages are accurately communicated and represented and to support the objectives of marketing and communications strategy and plans.
Audience and Partnership Building
- Manage the Tessitura database for retention and growth of audiences nationally.
- Target appropriate audience segments and think ‘outside the square’ to amplify audiences.
- Set and implement growth targets for audiences.
- Working with the external PR agency to identify and liaise with key media and media outlets for promotion of activities.
- Develop effective media communication strategies overseeing drafting of media releases and statements.
- Record and document press coverage for archival purposes.
- Coordinate the photography and/or videography of projects and activities including but not limited to scheduling, use, archiving and permissions.
- With the Chief Executive and Operations Manager develop budgets to achieve sales and promotional targets
- Implement, monitor and report on budget income and expenditure related to the activities of the marketing and communication strategy and plans.
- Maintain paperwork and approvals of expenditure to satisfy procedures and prevent overspend.
- Identify areas savings in expenditure budgets and growth in income.
- Write detailed reports on marketing activities and achievements for the Board of Directors.
- Attend events and functions as required.
- Other duties as reasonably required by the Operators Manager or Chief Executive.
- Experience in a senior cultural marketing and communications role.
- Expertise in developing and delivering marketing and communication budgets.
- Demonstrated capacity in devising and implementing timelines, processes and systems.
- Practical experience in digital marketing platforms.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and the capacity to work in a team environment.
- Proven, well-developed administrative and computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook, CANVA or similar design program, Campaign Monitor or similar email marketing platform, Tessitura or other CRM), with a high-level attention to detail, accuracy and efficiency.
Desirable but not a prerequisites
- Experience working with WordPress and the Adobe design suite.
Health, Safety and Wellbeing and Employment Equity:
Piano+ is committed to high standards of performance in relation to work Health, Safety and Wellbeing and the provision of Equal Employment Opportunity. All employees are expected to participate in maintaining safe working conditions and practices, as well as promoting and upholding the principle of fair and equitable access to employment/promotion, personal development and training and the elimination of workplace harassment and discrimination.
This position is a flexible workplace position, both, working from the office as well as from home as required. Normal hours of work will be 9.30am to 5.30pm with a daily lunch break of one hour. There will be work outside of business hours of which no additional payment is granted though there is a time in lieu policy in place. Hours of work will include weekend and on-call response during the lead up to and throughout the Sydney International Piano Competition in 2026 and associated activities and events from time to time.
Annual and Sick leave
Subject to the terms and conditions of the employment contract, the Employee will be entitled to holiday leave accrued proportionally at the rate of four weeks annual leave for every 52 weeks worked. No leave loading will be paid.
Piano+ is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
To apply please address the SIX selection criteria in a cover letter of no more than two A4 pages and email, along with your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm Monday 30 October 2023.
Please note: We will be assessing applications and interviewing candidates on a rolling basis, please submit your application as soon as you can.